April is full of festivals, concerts, and activities, many of which can be enjoyed outdoors, which is more than appropriate given that this is the first full month of spring. Below are the city´s most interesting events for the upcoming month.
La Ruta de la Sal
La Ruta de la Sal is a deep sea regatta that commemorates last century´s voyages in search of salt. It has the highest participation of any deep sea regatta in the Mediterrean, and will take place this year from April 1 to 4.http://ibiza-online.com/RegataRutaSal/en/index.shtml”
International Pillow Fight Day
- Saturday, April 3, is International Pillow Fight Day! All over the world, various cities have organized their own pillow fights. Barcelona´s will take place in Plaça Catalunya at 6pm where they will try to beat San Francisco´s record number of 5,000 participants. All you need is a pillow in order to join in. “http://www.pillowfightday.com/”
- Mecal 2010 is the 12th edition of the Internatinal Short Film Festival of Barcelona. This year Mecal received nearly 3,500 films, of which a selection of nearly 400 will be presented. It will take place from April 9 to April 18 at various venues. Entry to a single session costs €4. http://eng.mecalbcn.org/
- Calé… Historias de un Gitano- Joaquín Cortés is a Cordoba-born Flamenco dancer and is considered one of the best in the world. He will be performing his latest show along with a cast of 26 musicians and dancers at the Teatro Coliseum from April 14 to 25. http://www.joaquincortes.org
Dia de la Terra
- Barcelona will celebrate Earth day on Saturday, April 22. Various activities will be held throughout the day at Parc de la Ciutadella. http://www.diadelaterra.org/
- This unique Catalan holiday takes place on April 23 and is celebrated with the exchange books and roses. Events take place all over the city, but La Rambla is particularly famous for their various rose and book stalls, decorations, and activities.
Feria de Abril de Catalunya
- Each year Barcelona celebrates its own version of the famous Feria de Abril in Seville. It takes place in the Parc del Forum and features music, dancing, food, and other attractions. This year it will take place from April 23 to May 2. http://www.fecac.com/fecac/agenda/detall.php?apartat=&activitat=193
- Hungry Market is an art exhibition with the objective to help fight world hunger. It features photographs and videos of Sahel, Nigeria, Mali, Guinea, and Mauritania. It will be on display at the Mercat de la Sagrada Familia from April 3 to May 3, and entrance is free. http://www.mercadohambre.org/
Àngel Jové, vs Limbus
- Catalan artist Ángel Jové presents a selection of his 2009 series “Versus Limbus”. To complete the series he produced more than 350 drawings on paper and ceramics. A selection of them will be on display from March 12 to May 8 at the Fundació Suñol. http://www.fundaciosunol.org/fundacio_sunol/la_fundacio.php?lang=2
Mans a l’Obra
- Photojournalist Anna Boyé presents a series of photos taken during the construction of the new Terminal 1 at Barcelona´s El Prat airport. The series includes shots of the different people involved in the project and is meant to highlight the human side of modern development. The series will be on display at Palau Robert from March 12 to June 27. http://www.annaboye.com/reportajes/terminal1/
Excerpts from the Narrative
- Jeff Brouws, a self-taught photographer from the United States, presents his first show in Spain. The exhibition presents the changing rural and urban landscapes of the United States. It is on display at the Galeria Toni Tàpies from March 25 to May 7. http://www.tonitapies.com/
Guia Secreta de la Rambla
- “The Secret Guide to the Ramblas” is a project featuring different media related to the past and present of La Rambla. It features exhibitions, screenings, debates, and other organized activities. It is on display at the Palau de la Virreina from March 25 to May 24. Palau de la Virreina is located at La Rambla, 99.
Eric McFadden with Paula O’Rourke- San Francisco punk artist Eric McFadden has toured with George Clinton and the Parliament for three years and is also a member of Stockholm Syndrome. He will perform at Sala Monasterio on Friday, April 2. http://salamonasterio.com/
Tokio Hotel- With the success of their first two albums, Tokio Hotel has achieved world-wide popularity, and is currently promoting their third album. They will play on April 5 at Palau Sant Jordi. General tickets cost €40 and seats €45 and can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.es
Maceo Parker- Maceo Parker, a legendary jazz and funk musician, has been performing for last 50 years along and has played with various musical legends such as James Brown and George Clinton. He will be performing songs from his latest album, Roots & Groove, on April 8 at the Palau de la Música Catalana. Tickets costs €30 and can be purchased at http://www.palaumusica.org/.
Loquillo- Loquillo is a Spanish rocker that has been performing for over 30 years. He will perform on Friday, April 9, at Sant Jordi Club. Tickets cost €28. http://www.theproject.es/es/concerts/concierto.php?idconcierto=796
Mika- Mika is a British musician who won many British and international music awards after his career took off with the single “Grace Kelly”. He will perform on April 18 at Palau Sant Jordi. Ticketes cost €30 and can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.es.
Sonic Youth- These alternative rockers have been together for more than three decades. They will perform on April 18 at Razzmatazz. Tickets cost €39. http://www.livenation.es/
EscenaBCN- This is a new music festival celebrating Catalan music. It will take place on April 23, so as to coincide with Sant Jordi. http://www.escenabcn.cat/
Blood Red Shoes- Blood Red Shoes is a two-piece alternative music group from England. They have released 15 albums in the six years they´ve been together and will present their latest album, Fire Like This, on Friday, April 9, at Razzmatazz. Tickets can be purchased in advance for €12, or for €15 at the door. http://www.bloodredshoes.co.uk/
Electrónica- This is a three-day long electronic music festival featuring various artists. It will take place at the Obra Social Caja Madrid from April 22 to April 24, and entry costs €2,50. http://www.obrasocialcajamadrid.es/